Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What To Do?

Since the day Clayton laid eyes on my little house I purchased for Mae's, he's wanted to move in.  I was against it from the moment I saw that light bulb above his head.  This was MY dream.  I felt like moving into it would be ripping that dream from me.  I mean, after all, it's prime location for a business and entirely too small for our family.  I can't honestly say I wasn't a little perturbed he even had that thought.  The more he talked about doing this and that to the yard, the more irritated I got.

As he's been gone for the past month, the girls and I have stayed quite a few nights in the new house.  The idea of moving in is growing on me.  Yes, it's small, but I've quickly been reminded how we lived in a house about the same size as this one when all 6 kids of ours, under the age of 9 were all running around and things were just fine.  The bedrooms in that house were a lot bigger than this one, but we have a lot less kids at home now.  When they come home, they crash on the sofa anyway.

I used to want to have a home big enough for company, future grandkids, the whole nine yards.  Now that I've been struggling to downsize, I'm seeing that as silly.  Maybe I'll kick myself in the future over downsizing, I don't know.  I see my mom living in a home that's fairly small.  She has a teeny tiny yard as well.  She has 5 kids, all of us with at least 3 kids and spouses, and we all fit perfectly fine in her home during the holidays and such.  I see my mother in law with a HUGE 2 story home, and no one uses the top floor.  Ever.  You should know by now how much I can't stand wasted space, right?  Who needs that electric bill anyway?  I sure don't.

Ah, but then there's the fact that I absolutely love my home.  The big one.  It still needs to be finished, but what I know I want to do with it, I just melt.  The electric bill there is a lot higher than I'd like, or that I've ever paid before.  There are some problems we are still facing that drains my energy.  (found a leak in the laundry room ceiling about a month ago)  It's going to take a lot of money and time to get it complete, and the note is 3 times more expensive than the small house.  I love the house though.  I also still want Mae's.

I'm torn.

I've sat down and weighed out the pros and cons of living in the small house.  It would mean all new furnishings because the rooms just aren't large enough for what we have.  The location is great for convenience, but not exactly the location I have in mind for a home.  This is where Clayton and I differ entirely.  He's a city slicker, I'm a country gal.  It makes it very, very tough.  I feel exposed living in town and it's not a neighborhood in that there are gorgeous lawns to live next to.  This house is the only residential building on the block.  The rest are businesses.  That's great if you don't care for neighbors.  Which, honestly, I don't.  (I'm a snob)

This is just a huge decision.  Maybe the answer will present itself soon.  I pray it does anyway.

If only it were this easy:













1 comment:

Michael (Light-In-A-Box) said...

I sure hope an answer comes your way, it really is a tough decision!
Myself I like large open spaces, lots of room. Currently we have a small dwelling & it is full of stuff! I'm sure though with a bigger place we would just fill it with more stuff.. If we got rid of junk our place would look twice as big!

Have a great weekend. :-)