Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Gathered Thoughts

Walmart. The only thing open this early in the morning. I went. I saw. I conquered. Well, a little anyway. I won't trash talk the "W" place too much, but just know, I really like Target. I wish there was one less than an hour from me, but there isn't, so today, it's Walmart.

Morgan has always been indecisive about how she wants to decorate her room. All her life, as soon as she would decide and I would start, she'd change her mind. Needless to say, her rooms have never been completely finished from the time she was old enough to give her opinion. It just isn't as easy these days as it was when her room was a nursery decorated with bunnies. (I just had a visual of the past. *tears*)

Let me give you a little history of mine and Morgan's bouts with her room...when she was younger, I wanted her room to be bright colors and teenish looking. She wanted a more sophisticated look. I didn't like that because I wanted to have fun with the colors and really make her room the coolest hangout ever. I didn't want the boring sophisticated look. Afterall, she could have that when she was older, right? NOW, I would love for her to have a sophisticated room with a contemporary style to it. What does she want? COLOR. Bright color! Well, I'm not arguing because she has at least decided on something!

When we first moved into this house, I bought her all sorts of colorful things for her room, planning to really make it fun and funky, but fitting to her age. We bought quite a few throw pillows, blankets, etc. I painted her walls. I didn't finish painting her walls. That's another story, though. She really likes the bulletin boards they sell at PB Teen. I agree, but not with the price. No biggy to make, though. Here is an example of one at PB Teen:


I found quilting fabric pieces this morning that I will use to make her one:


I will possibly also use some metal sheets, white board squares, pegboard, and the corkboard uncovered, depending on how big I decide to make it.

She's also always wanted an alcove around her bed with padded walls. I'm not sure how to go about the alcove part, but I bought the foam just in case I figure it out. (I will):


Now, here comes the tricky part. Back when we were buying stuff for her room, we also bought a futon to make one side of her room a lounging area. It's a vanilla color and is very cute! We put the colorful fuzzy throw pillows on it and it just looked adorable, even with it being a vanilla color instead of, say, white. Since the color of the futon isn't something you would normally see with bright, bold colors like she has chosen, it has made it very difficult for me to find her bedding to match. Everything is white or black, making that futon the only item in her room that color. It just stands out to me. I think I may have found some inspiration though. This is a white comforter, but I can make it a vanilla color and I do believe it will be good. Maybe.:


I am loving those stools at the end of the bed too, by the way.

So, now I am at least at a start with ideas.

I'm going to try to go to Ikea today if I have time. It's been too long.

2 comments:

The Magnolia Mamma said...

I have an idea for the alcove. Put a bookcase on either side of bed facing with the back to the bed...with a piece of plywood connecting the tops of the bookcase. Pad and cover the plywood and the back of bookcase. The other side of the bookcase can be MORE storage.

Lori said...

Thank you, Aunt Connie! That's awesomely perfect!