Simplicity....sewing patterns. I LOATHE sewing. Ok?
Last year, Morgan had to have a maid costume for Happy! Project. Seemed simple enough. I had made many Halloween costumes for her in the past without a pattern. A maid costume didn't seem at all difficult. That was until I decided to try to follow a pattern.
Let's rewind back to when I took Home Ec. in high school. We had a choice of making either a simple shirt with a band around the middle or a VERY simple skirt that was made of two pieces and an elastic waist and a hem. I chose the skirt. The students who picked the skirts to make started first, while the ones who chose the shirts did other things. When we were all finished with our skirts, we did other things while the shirts were being made by the other people. Thank God I didn't choose the shirt. I couldn't figure out a pattern to save my life and wound up sewing on that thing even after everyone was finished and the shirts were being made. That's when I figured out I wasn't going to be a seamstress.
So, I never ever wanted to see another pattern again and just made things by eyeballing them. I have to admit though, those Halloween costumes I've made in the past were pretty stinking fancy.
I was rushed last year making Morgan's maid costume and even stayed up all night in Dallas sewing away at it, trying to get it finished for her the next day. Long story short, it looked pathetic when it was finished. It was nothing that couldn't be hidden, but it wasn't as short as the other girls' and was nowhere near as gathered as their's were.
Morgan has another concert this weekend and has to have her maid costume. There's no way my child is going to wear that ugly thing. I'm in the process of attempting to make her another one. Before this weekend. Oi. I loathe sewing!
We couldn't find a pattern for a maid costume, but we did find a Wizard of Oz, Dorothy dress pattern that she says will work. We shall see. She wanted a jumper type anyway. It won't be as long as the pattern, but if I can't handle that, then I don't need to be anywhere near a sewing machine. Maybe I shouldn't be anyway.
This marks the end of Day 1 since I started tonight. Honestly, cutting out just the pattern for the part we will be working with was enough for one day for me:
This is my brain on Simplicity:
Did I mention I LOATHE sewing?
Just making sure.



1 comment:
"Juu" can do it................!!! I know, I don't like patterns either. I always have to wing it.
Post a Comment