Monday, September 12, 2011

If These Walls Could Talk

I'd ask them just what was going through the heads of the people who built this house.

With every single job we do, we run across strange ways someone improvised. I guess it's ok though. After all, in my living room we had enough space to put up new drywall without having to tear down the old. So, we have two layers on one wall. Who cares?

We found the same thing in the bathroom we are hooking our new bedroom up to. On that same wall, 6" studs were used instead of 4" like the rest of the house. I'm going to use that to my advantage, possibly, by having built in shelves. The 6" allowance gives me deeper storage.

The past two days I've spent ripping out the rest of the drywall in our future bedroom and bathroom. I'm almost finished, but can't get behind the toilet and vanity just yet. That's for tomorrow, if I find any time whatsoever.

This picture is only after we built the opening for the door going into the bathroom:




It's a total disaster right now, of course but I'm so excited to see the changes being made. It feels like a different home just entering this bathroom from a different angle. The bathroom itself even seems bigger.

So, right now, the bedroom and bathroom are gutted and waiting on us to make them new and pretty. Clayton mentioned building the vanity, so I'm hoping he will do that this week. I'm also hoping to get a vessel sink. I just love them! I am trying to keep this as low cost as possible though, and if I do, the existing sink will be used. It works, so whatever.

I'm also wanting to tile the shower surround. I've been pretty confident in myself that I can do it, but after a little further research today, I'm not so sure. We may settle for a ready made surround, but I won't be happy. We will see.

The demolition hasn't been as complicated as I originally thought it would be. In fact, it's been very simple thanks to the old, brittle drywall. Im so thankful we are doing this, not just to make it a beautiful bathroom, but because of the things I found behind those walls.

Spiders. Big spiders. Dead, but still spiders. LOTS OF THEM.

I'm sure if these walls could talk, their most spoken word would be EEEK!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

The Magnolia Mamma said...

You can do the tiling. I know you can. I think you would be so much happier with it. We used the small webbed ones on the floor and the bigger ones on the wall and ceiling - goes a lot faster! (Now, of course, I did not do our tiling, but I know that YOU can.)

Lori said...

I've decided to tile, even if I have to hire someone. You have entirely too much faith in me..lol