So, today I went to Home Depot to get the color I wanted to paint my kitchen cabinets. I couldn't wait to get home and try it! I even picked up some new knobs in a oil rubbed bronze finish to match my new french door handles since I love that finish so much.
I got home, whipped out the two samples of paint that were pretty close together in color. It's just not going to happen. The color I chose was more on the khaki side with green being the undertone. Green dominated once again in my house. It failed in every way possible. It was too dark, it was too green, it didn't go with the new knobs, it made my "maybelline" paint in my dining room look pink. The knobs? Well, they will work for now, but they aren't even right. They don't have enough bronze seeping through and look solid black from only about 3 feet away. We will get there, though. No worries. So, for now, it's back to the white, which won't hurt. The cabinets were already in need of a fresh paint job. I'll do my temporary counter top resurfacing for the time being and be fairly happy. I'll also rip down the soffits which will give me a great deal of happiness. No banquette yet until we decide on the table and measure the benches from it. Do you understand how I've been looking EVERYDAY for a table?
On another note...
I'm getting my grandmother's piano from my aunt sometime soon. Maybe this week, if I feel like more traveling. I really really want my writing desk in my dining room and a comfy chair in the corner by my fireplace, so that leaves me without a place to put the piano. I also found another piano today at Goodwill for $100. I will be getting that tomorrow! Since it's second hand, I won't feel bad about refinishing it. It's already repainted black and has a mirror on it that will definitely go and what I plan to do with that area is looking quite nice in my mind. In my mind.
I have this cubby shelf thing from Ikea in my living room now:
It's great. It holds quite a few things and I've never been able to fill it up completely. I plan to take it out of there and put the Goodwill piano in it's place. What I will then do with that shelf is DIY me a Pottery Barn shelf for my kitchen like this:
I adore.
It's fun falling back in love with your house again, right?

2 comments:
Lori, looks like you have taken on a huge project to restore the house! Don't worry about the epic fail, sometimes we take two steps forward & one back! (or something like that) I think I need one of those IKEA cubby things! That would clear up a lot of space for me.. Keep up the good work!
Michael.
Thanks. That's very encouraging. I measured for the Ikea cubby (Expedit) and it didn't work where I wanted it to, nor did the piano fit in the space where the Expedit is now. Another fail, but I did find a place for the piano, so not all hope is lost. Haha. Those expedits really really do hold a lot! Sturdy as well.
Post a Comment