Thursday, April 28, 2011

Getting Our Ducks in a Row

I never thought I'd ever own a farm, but these days it's beginning to look like one around here.

The ducks are grown, although not fully matured.  The chicken is well on it's way too.  They have all three shared a little cage since we got them and have now outgrown it.  Allison got brave and let them roam free during the night.  They did great!  They didn't wander at all, which means they haven't been back in the cage since.

We found a mess they left behind under the carport yesterday.  If you are unfamiliar with these animals, they are quite the mess makers.  We found them sleeping on our dog Angel's bed last night.  Angel is obviously female (the name) and is very protective of all the animals we have.  So, she let them have her bed.  I had just washed it too.  It will not go back into my machine after this.  Eww.   (*note* I edited out the majority of the mess on her bed for easier viewing purposes.)


So, today my father-in-law and Clayton are going to build a chicken coop.  I think Clayton said something about just a fenced in area for now until he comes back from work next time.  (He'll be leaving soon)

I'll be so happy.  With the plumbing that was done the first part of this month, I haven't smelled stinky when I walk into my home.  These little mess makers have now allowed me to smell it just before I walk into my home.  I don't think so.  They have really taken a liking to Angel's bed, so I guess the coop will work out great for me.  We are going to put it at the far corner of the property.  I don't want there to be a "fowl" smell before entering my home. ;)

1 comment:

The Magnolia Mamma said...

We went to Colorado the first of this month and re-built a huge chicken yard. The previous worker that Greg hired was told to put the fence up with "staples" and evidently being a "city" boy...did just that! He stapled the entire fence up with ordinary staples. Must have used thousands of them to keep it up. SO, we had to go and pry all of the itty bitty staples out and put in normal fencing staples!