I know. Another interest/hobby to add to my collection. I can't help it.
Honestly, I've never even heard of it until a few months ago. Well, not even then, actually. I just have an app on my ipod for camera effects and one was called "lomo-fi". So, with me loving that little app, I decided to look up lomography and found myself sinking into the very depths of the art form.
I can't tell you why I love it. I just do. I remember when my mother would get film developed and if any of them were "ruined" it would be heartbreaking. Double exposed, over or under exposed, etc. Anything that would get in the way of what you were trying to capture would just ruin the photo. With digital being unheard of other than in watches and clock radios, it was always a guessing game. I was always told to load film in the darkest area possible, never open the door to the camera before the film was all used up, and of course, don't put your camera or film in the heat. That would just be tragic.
So, what is lomography and how did it get started? Well, I say Google it.
The app I have on my ipod is nothing in comparison to what lomography is all about. Not in my eyes anyway. It completely steals the joy of not knowing what was shot until the film is developed. I remember film. I remember after getting my photos developed, I would stand right there at the counter of the place I'd get them developed and have either oohs and ahhs or uh ohs.
Either way, those are emotions that are missed.
I will still shoot digital, of course. Lomography is just something that I'd like to really take a crack at and see what pictures will be "ruined".
So, next item on my wishlist:
These are just cheap plastic cameras that shoot 120 film and I want one.
Until I decide exactly which lomo camera I want to start off with, I've got some 35mm film left over from YEARS ago that has been left out in the heat, beat and banged around and a 35mm camera that's been collecting dust. I think I'll give it a "shot". Pun not intended. Of course, I know it won't be what I'm looking for, but may as well do something with it.

No comments:
Post a Comment