Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Therapeutic Photography

I need it.

I've been taking portraits and even though clients seem to love what they see, it's not soothing to me.  It's actually work and that's not what I want photography to be to me.  Not only that, but I really don't like my work in that area.  I need to get out and do what I love to do. 

I love taking pictures of various objects.  I once had this collection of pictures of doors, gates, etc., also abstract objects, macro, and other things I was going to catagorize and make photo books of each catagory.  I never did it.  I remember showing my mom the images and she sort of discouraged me by not paying attention to them and laughing at the ones she did actually look at.  She's a wonderful person, just not the greatest at encouragement.  Now that I'm becoming a stronger person annually, I don't allow little things like another person's lack of artistic inclination determine how I feel about my passion.

I can honestly say that on a daily basis, there is something I see that I really want to capture.  Most of the time, I just don't take that moment to stop and take out my camera.  There's an old church, (it may even be a barn), up on a hilltop in Louisiana that I have wanted to take a picture of since I was about 10 years old.  I've passed it only a thousand times and haven't snapped it yet.  I even had a "fender bender" years ago due to looking back at it as I was driving down the street.  Another example of that is an old rusty truck that sits next to the road under a flagpole about 15 miles from my house.  I've wanted to capture that so badly, but never have.  Now, the people who apparently own it have more smaller flags on either side of the truck, which to me, ruins the picture I want to take of it.  If only I had stopped long ago. *sigh*

So, what's my point?

I may not even have one.

Ok, I do.

I'm not one of those people who have the luxury of taking off alone for a weekend and doing whatever it is those people do.  I have my family who relies on me to stick around and not be gone for longer than 30 minutes at a time.  Ok, I exaggerate.  An hour at a time.  I'm thinking though, what I really want to do is start taking that time.  Maybe not a weekend, maybe not even a whole day.  Maybe, just maybe, I can squeeze in a few hours of alone time and just soak up some me time doing what I want to do.  Not grocery shopping.  Not paying bills.  Not running errands.  Just me time.  Away from the house.  Just my camera and me. 

Ahhh wouldn't it be nice?

So, I'm looking into things such as Scott Kelby's worldwide photo walks.  If you are wondering what that is, you can check it out here.  I wouldn't be alone on this type of thing, so to speak, but still sounds interesting to me.  I just hope they have one near me.  I know I saw they had one last year about an hour from me.  I wish I had known about it then. 

Another idea I have is to find a camera club nearby.  Who knows?  Maybe I can even start one.  Nah.  I'll find one.

I just really want to get out there and find that time for me, doing what I love.

2 comments:

The Magnolia Mamma said...

What is that saying about "Stop and smell the roses"? I too, have found myself regretting not stopping. There is a lake between my house and Houston that "one" time had a huge migration of white birds sitting on stalks that were coming out of the water on both sides and I DID NOT stop!!! I ALWAYS have my camera, but I don't always stop when I see it. More and more now though (& Carl is very accommodating) I am doing that.
Ya just gotta take the time!!!

Lori said...

I would have hated to miss that! It truly does help when you have a husband who will stop at any given moment. :)