Friday, April 22, 2011

Geocaching

I've wanted to try this out for a while now.  I didn't know enough about it and never got around to really digging deep into it until a few days ago.

We were at my in-laws' house, visiting, while a friend of my father-in-law's saw the girls' prom pictures.  He said, "this looks like that place out at such and such".  I told him that's exactly where it was.  He said he has done a lot of geocaching out there.  Of course, I was surprised about this, so asked him more details about it.  He said there were loads of them in the area and told me to go to geocaching.com.  I did.  Now, I understand it a little better. 

Our gps is out of date with maps, so nothing will display.  Ok, let me bring out my handy dandy ipod touch and see what I can do with it.  Well, after downloading a few apps on the subject, I found only about a trillion treasures to hunt down.  There's quite a few only a mile from our house! 

I told the girls about it.  Allison wasn't thrilled.  I tried to convince her it would be fun, but she just didn't seem to understand, saying that it was for people without lives.  Teenagers.  Morgan and Emily, however, are all for it.  Allison just wants to search for treasure if it's something of value she can keep.  She still didn't quite get it. 

I looked closely at one of the places on my map and realized exactly where it was.  I didn't need coordinates for this one.  Super easy.  Our Wal-Mart here is built behind McDonalds.  There is a big deep ditch with a few culverts separating the two parking lots.  I told Allison about it.  Still, no sign of light in her eyes.  Not until we went to Wal-Mart today.  As I drove right beside that big ditch, I was reminded.

"Look, Allison, there's a cache somewhere down in that ditch, probably hidden in one of those culverts."

Allison's head pops up as she looks down toward the ditch...with a grin on her face.

"See, it's exciting to know that, right?" 

A bigger grin spreads across her face as she continues to look at the ditch while we drive on.

Uh, huh.  For those without lives, huh?

4 comments:

Covnitkepr1 said...

I have added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit my blog and become a follower as well.

Edenvale said...

I LOVE Love love geocaching and I do have a life, I think. (looks around) My husband & I have been caching for 2 years now and I admit, I did not "get" it the first time I heard about it. Now, everywhere we go, I go geocaching.

The Magnolia Mamma said...

I have never tried it, but one of my employees did and she loves it.

Lori said...

I think I'm an addict.

Aunt Connie, I truly believe this is something you'd enjoy. Letterboxing too. As much as you guys travel, it's just something to add to your adventures. We can do it when we come see you guys!