Saturday, June 11, 2011

Such is Life

It is what it is.

For the past few days, the girls and I have been in Dallas.  We have a favorite hotel we stay always stay in while we are there.  It's just nice and clean with a lot of amenities at motel prices.  We did find out the hard way, though, that it's more expensive during the week than on weekends.  Go figure.  Still, it was a very comfortable stay, as always.


We planned to go to Reunion Tower, but it was closed for renovation.  No biggy.  Still loads of things to do.  We got there Wednesday night, so we just had our baths and crashed.  Thursday, we spent a lot of time running the roads trying to find a photo lab I had heard about that develops 120 film.  In the meantime, we stopped at Ritz in Plano, which is where Allison fell in love with a Diana F+ camera.  I've been wanting one too, so I got it for me her.  I've also been wanting a Fisheye 2 camera.  All I needed to hear were the words from Emily, "Mom, can I have a camera too?"  So, I bought me her the Fisheye 2. 


Ahhh, be still my heart.

We still had film to develop, so we pressed on to find that little hole in the wall of a lab.  On the OTHER side of Dallas.  Found it.  Dropped film off.  Pick up next day.  Yay!  Back to the hotel and time for some fun in the pool, pizza, and baseball.




The pizza here is something we look forward to.  It's delicious!  Always!

Later that night, we went for a walk in downtown Frisco.  We tried to get some shots, but we only a few turned out.  It was nice walking in the warm night air.

The film we had processed was from my Holga and here are a few sample shots.  We have a lot more, but since I didn't think to have them put on disc, I'm having to scan each and every one.  I'm loving it.




The bottom shot is an intentional double exposure of our basketball goal and our tubing raft.  Loving. 

We were going to go ahead and stay throughout the weekend, but I had a workshop to go to today in Conroe and something just didn't feel right about staying.  So, Friday evening, we left but took our time getting home.  Since we all had toy cameras, we would stop and just snap whenever we wanted to.  I'm seriously in love with the fisheye.  We had those developed today and did that old fashioned "oohing" and "ahhing" at the photo counter.  We can't remember exactly who took what, but here are a few examples of the Fisheye2. 


It's so much fun!

Once home, we crashed.

Then, this morning, we woke up to this...

Nevermind, I'm not even going to add pictures. 

Anyone who knows my  luck will know just what I'm about to say, I believe.  It has happened to me loads of times before.  I may have even mentioned the last time in this blog somewhere, I don't know.  I believe it is my destiny, Yep, you guessed it, to flood my house.

The very back bathroom in the house sprung a leak.  If you even want to call it a leak.  No, it sprung a waterfall under the sink.  I don't know how it did it overnight.  I can't even imagine it, but it did.  The cold water hose leading up to the faucet has a hole in it bigger than my forefinger.  I can actually stick my finger in it and move it from side to side.  It looks as if it's been chewed, but I don't have rodents.  Why me?  Why? 

Instead of losing my mind, I sat down and thought about what to do.  After a few thoughts and even a few tears,  Allison and I started moving furniture to the dry rooms of the house.  These dry rooms were my dining room, bedroom and laundry room.  That's it.  All three girls' rooms are flooded, the hallway, both back bathrooms, and the living room.  My bathroom and closet were flooded as well.  I'm guessing this is the reason I didn't have a good feeling about staying in Dallas throughout the weekend. 

So, cleaning it all is what we have done today, other than the short break we took to get the film developed and me writing this blog.  Needless to say, I didn't go to that workshop today.

I'm hanging in there, keeping calm.  It's not WHAT I go through, it's HOW I go through it. 

But, I am ready to move.





3 comments:

elizabeth said...

Hi to my newest blog follower! So sorry to hear about your flooding...last summer we had to move totally out of our house and then back in after repairs due to me leaving a burner on resulting in smoke damage throughout the house. Anyway, just trying to say I feel your pain! Sounds like your time in Dallas was fun, and love your new cameras!

Gerry Adams said...

Looks like a nice trip. I'm sorry about the flooding too. If there's any real damage to the house, you might check to see if your homeowner's insurance will pay for it. I had damage several years ago from a shut off valve under my sink that sprang a leak, and insurance paid to rebuild my wall which had turned to mush, and it got me a new counter top and paint job too. I hope you have a nice Sunday!

The Magnolia Mamma said...

You may have a claim there. Sorry your having to go through this though. Hang in there, girl!