Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Our First Garden

Ok, second, but since the first one years ago didn't do anything, we won't count that one.

I was so excited this morning when I walked out to our garden and saw corn silks peeking through!  I've kept an eye on it since the plants topped the other day.  I just checked it yesterday and there was still no sign of anything coming through.  Things do seem to happen overnight here, though.

Our cucumbers seem to be the only thing really progressing.  We are already loaded with them!  Clayton says he doesn't like big cucumbers and wants me to pick them before they get longer than about 7 inches or so.  I have no idea about any of this, so I'm wondering if they will be ripe if I pick them if they are supposed to get bigger.  I don't know what type he planted.  Pointers, anyone?  I'd like to can some pickles too.

My okra is covered in ants.  I read that they don't harm the okra and that they do.  I'm confused.  I want my okra to make it.  If anything in that garden out there is mine, it's the okra.  I could survive on fried okra alone and never get tired of it. Want. Some. Now.

The tomato plants are HUGE.  They are so tall, but with no signs of tomatoes at all.  Maybe it's "a watched pot never boils" type thing, because I have been looking...everyday, several times a day.  Love fresh maters!

The watermelon plants are consuming the entire garden.  We thought we saw a watermelon last week, but can't find it now.  Maybe it wasn't.  I don't know.  I do know, we will have plenty of those as well.

Look at all our green :)



2 comments:

Gerry Adams said...

Very nice. Good Luck with your garden!

Lori said...

Thanks, Gerry!